WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service Advisory Council (IRSAC) held its annual public meeting today and released its annual report for 2016 to IRS Commissioner John Koskinen. The report includes recommendations on a wide range of tax administration issues.
“IRSAC members play an important role in tax administration by providing insights from outside the agency on the most pressing tax issues of the day,” said Koskinen. “They volunteer their time and energy for the benefit of all taxpayers.”
The IRSAC is an advisory group to the entire agency. The IRSAC’s primary purpose is to provide an organized public forum for the Commissioner, senior IRS executives and representatives of the public to discuss relevant tax administration issues.
Advisory council members convey the public’s perception of professional standards and best practices for tax professionals and IRS activities, offer constructive observations regarding current or proposed IRS policies, programs and procedures, as well as suggest improvements to IRS operations.
Based on its report findings and discussions over the last year, the IRSAC made several recommendations on a broad range of issues and concerns including:
- Evaluating the Effects of Penalties on Voluntary Compliance;
- Promoting Confidentiality of Treaty-Exchanged Information;
- Improving Fraud Prevention through Individual Taxpayer and Business Master File (BMF) Authentication;
- Enhancing the IRS2Go Mobile Application and Online Accounts;
- Revising and Updating Circular 230.
Commissioner Koskinen congratulated and thanked four IRSAC members ending their three-year terms this year:
- Jennifer MacMillan, IRSAC Chair – Jennifer MacMillan, EA, Santa Barbara, Calif.
- Ronald Aucutt – McGuireWoods, LLP, Tysons Corner, Va.
- F. Robert Bader – Baltimore CASH Campaign, Baltimore, Md.
- Cheri Freeh – Hutchinson, Gillahan & Freeh, P.C., Quakertown, Pa.
The IRSAC is administered by the Office of National Public Liaison and draws its members from the taxpaying public, the tax professional community, small and large businesses and the payroll community.
The 2016 Internal Revenue Service Advisory Council Public Report can be found on IRS.gov.